This is a community created for you. Each of us has a dirty little secret. Each of us has a nugget of truth within us. I ask that you share that wealth. Tell everyone a secret(s), trivial or monumental. We are the junkies of truth, no matter grandeur or folly. We also love one hell of a 'good' story...
Tell us a personal truth, enlighten us.
Discussion with other members is highly encouraged, flame wars are not.
1. Don't delete posts and don't edit/delete/screen/freeze/disable comments. If you cant take the heat, don't play in the kitchen. This applies to both posters and commenters. We do regularly ban for this.
You can immediately screen a comment if you contact a moderator about why. It may be unscreened if your reasoning is not valid. Comment editing is not allowed; if you made a typo, forgot to mention something in your original comment, etc., you should do what has always been the standard.. Make another comment.
2. Don't be an asshole. Troll on your own time. We see far too often people who appeal to being "brutally honest" as a way to duck responsibility. Don't.
3. Don't make any negative posts about other members. No bashing/mocking/complaining.
4. Don't post about posts that other members have made.
These are also referred to as "meta-posts". While we can't control what is posted in other communities, we will take appropriate action against users who repost locked content from brutal_honesty , including (but not limited to) screencaps and text.
5. Don't link to another member's post unless it directly references what you're writing about.
Linking to your own post is okay, see rule #17.
6. Keep 'whining' to a minimum - attempt to stay on topic. Brutally honest rants are fine, but this is not a public space to consistently rant/bitch about your banal existence or things you hate. Save that shit for your own journal. This is for confessions and secrets, not a soapbox.
7. Don't use any information from a member's outside life in this community (this includes their journal or profile). Do not post home information, telephone numbers, religion, personal websites, info from other websites they may belong to, info shared in other communities or anything about the poster that you know from elsewhere. If you want to criticise, criticise for their post's content, not for their personal outside of the community garbage.
For more minor offences, moderators may decide to wait for a complaint to be received before any action is taken, and action will not be taken if the member is okay with it.
8. Don't Lie. Remember this is a community about secrets and admissions. Write your fiction someplace else.
9. Questions. This is NOT an advice column, please redirect those queries here --> just_ask .
10. Community promotions. Do not use this community to promote your community. Any community promotion posts will be deleted. Try community_promo instead.
11. This is a public forum, a safe haven for discussion of any/all things taboo - if you can't handle it, leave. Along these lines, sarcasm is a daily currency, if you can't take a 'joke' - leave.
12. Tailor your words and stay on topic. Don't forget you're writing for an audience. You're an adult, write like one - posts and comments.
13. Criticize in a cogent manner. Sooner or later someone is going to say something that rubs you the wrong way. It is utterly childish to resort to petty name calling. Don't. Realize that if you say something unbecoming of your/our intellect, you may be criticized.
If you want to comment that a post is not brutal honesty, keep it simple and to the point. Don't get abusive about it. Moderators do recognise people are entitled to have opinions, but not if you look like a troll while you're doing it.
14. Using Disclaimers - You don't need to end your post with a "My brutal honesty? ..." disclaimer or similar. Most posts read much better when you don't look like you need to justify yourself just for your post to fit in the community.
The only person you may need to justify your post to is a moderator, and even then you would only be asked so as to check up on the validity of your post with the theme of the community. As a rule of thumb, chances are that if the rest of your post is brutally honest, people will be able to tell.
15. Consider the law. For juicier secrets, keep legal liability in mind. Be responsible with your words.
If you make a post that goes too far and decide to delete it later, it must be approved by a mod first. A mod may pre-emptively warn you of the risk you take if you keep it.
16. Picture posts. Do not post requesting pictures of people in the community, and don't post pictures of genitalia. These posts will be deleted.
We do a picture post once every 4-6 months and it tends to attract hundreds of comments, so wait until the moderators make a post (or feel free to request it by email if you're keeping up and noticed they're late).
17. Include links to your own previous related posts, if the post you are making is a continuation of or references those previous posts. Not everyone will have read your earlier post and may not understand what you're talking about.
18. Share and have fun!
This is an adults only 18+ community. Please have your date of birth listed on your profile. Anyone without a full date of birth on their profile will be automatically declined membership. We also regulate pending memberships for journals that look like trolls.
The community has moderated membership. Membership requests are usually followed up between a few minutes later and a week. Please be patient.
If you have problems with the community and/or other members, please contact joybeans or demure .
You can find contact details on each respective moderator's profile page - do not post comments in their journal entries about this community. This will annoy them.
created by philosopherking
Some changes have been made to LiveJournal, and we hope you enjoy them! As we continue to improve the site on a daily basis to make your experience here better and faster, we would greatly appreciate your feedback about these changes. Please let us know what we can do for you!
See a bug? Let us know! Here you can also share your thoughts and ideas about updates to LiveJournal
Your request has been filed. You can track the progress of your request at:
If you have any other questions or comments, you can add them to that request at any time.